Origins of Mid Surrey Bowling Club
In 1921 a number of local residents with a common interest in the game under
English Bowling Association Rules, met together with a view to
establishing a new Bowling Club in Richmond. A tenancy of a piece of ground in
the the Old Deer Park, Kew Road, Richmond, was negotiated with the Richmond
Cricket Club where Mid-Surrey Bowls Club remains to this day.
The materials for the green were supplied by Councillor J.T. Mears from Chelsea Football Club of which he was, at that time, Chairman and responsible for the ground improvements then taking place at Stamford Bridge. The club was officially opened on May 20th, 1922, by the Right Hon. Viscount Cave who, together with Councillor Mears, the Club's first President, bowled the first woods.(see picture from 1922)
Since that day, English Lawn Bowls has been played on the very same green and enjoyed by thousands of people. Today, the club is a vibrant and fun place to play bowls and to socialise with other like-minded people throughout the year.
History of the Club Badge
The Mid Surrey badge is largely taken from the Borough arms of Richmond. The portcullises represent the palace at Sheen which was renamed Richmond after one of the King Henrys had liked the Duke of Richmond's estate in Yorkshire so much that he decided that what had been known as Sheen would now be known as Richmond and he caused the palace to be built on the waterfront.
It was in this palace that Queen Elizabeth I died. The Lion is a Lion of England and refers again to the royal presence. On the next line we have the Tudor Rose either side of the gate of Kingston barracks (still to be seen today) these were the barracks of the East Surrey regiment.
The swan is part of the arms of Richmond and represents the river and the royal swans which are shared with the Haberdashers. The shield is a simple armorial shield.